Hair & Scalp Care: Our Top 7 Tips
If you are wanting to improve the health of your hair and scalp you’ve come to the right place. From hair masks for silky soft hair, to massage tips for a healthy scalp, at Additional Lengths, here’s seven of our top tips for you. Say hello to shiny hair and a flake free scalp in no time…
We’ve all heard the saying ‘beauty comes from within’, and with hair, this is absolutely true. So, one of your first steps on the road to healthy hair and scalp is what you eat.
Our scalp and hair are made from keratin protein, and a lack of this in our diets can cause hair to become weak and dull…no thank you.
Therefore, it's important to make sure you include plenty of the below foods in your diet for a healthy scalp and strong, shiny hair…
- Salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which are also found in your scalp cells and in natural oils that hydrate your hair. Since our bodies can’t make fatty acids on their own, this is essential to maintaining moisturised locks.
- Oranges are the go-to fruit for vitamin C and will help your body create collagen which is vital to getting that gorgeous radiant bounce in your hair. You will be having gorgeous locks like Hailey Bieber in no time 💁♀️
- Beans and chickpeas are full of natural oils and are key sources of iron and protein. Deficiencies of these can lead to hair loss and thinning.
- Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin A and promotes the production of sebum. This not only naturally conditions hair, but also improves our blood circulation for a happier and healthier scalp.
- Tomatoes provide your body with a hearty dose of the antioxidant lycopene, eating tomatoes helps maintain shine-boosting collagen in your body and even helps to protect your hair from sun and UV damage!
- Eggs are full of protein and one of the world’s most versatile ingredients, eggs are full of iron, zinc, keratin, protein, selenium, and vitamin B12. This combo penetrates the hair follicles to repair and nourish your strands, reduces the risk of a dry and flaky scalp, and boosts the amount of oxygen going to your scalp to strengthen your roots.
2.) Hair Masks
The perfect excuse for a pamper night, hair masks are just as good for your hair as your conditioner and have an important part to play in the health of your hair and scalp.
Unlike your conditioners, which rest on the surface of your locks, hair masks actually penetrate the hair cuticle.
A great hair mask gives your hair an eye-catching, well-nourished sheen and makes it more manageable.
You may find it a struggle choosing the perfect one for you as hair masks feel like a whole new world as there are so many to choose from. At Additional Lengths, we have a variety of masks suitable to your needs. For example, if you suffer from dry or brittle hair, we suggest looking for a mask that promotes intense moisturising like the Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask or if you have damaged hair, the Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask is for you. Check out our full collection here.
3.) Perfect Your Washing Routine
There are two groups of people when it comes to hair washing… those that love washing their hair on a daily basis or the “it will last another day” group that find it nothing but a chore. Which one are you?
Whilst making sure your hair is clean is important for the health of your hair and scalp, there is the risk of overwashing your locks which can do the opposite of what you are intending to do. Therefore, if you find yourself washing it everyday it's important to stop. Your locks have natural oils that condition the follicles and get stripped away by shampoo when you overwash. Plus, this will panic your hair into producing even more oils to compensate for the self-inflicted drought. So, you’ll find that your hair gets greasier even quicker than before… Basically a nightmare.
It's also important to not underwash as waiting over five days or longer to wash your hair can cause excessive buildup of oils and dead skin which can result in your scalp becoming inflamed and slowing down your hair growing process.
“How long should I leave it?” You may be asking. We suggest washing your hair every three days to strike a balance for healthy hair and scalp.
It doesn't stop there, your washing method is also important to have a healthy scalp and locks. Here are our top tips when it comes to washing:
- Use a 20p-sized blob of shampoo/conditioner for short to mid-length hair and a 50p-sized one for longer tresses.
- Aim for the scalp when shampooing and don’t scrub at the ends of your hair.
- Use lukewarm, not hot, water to prevent your hair from drying out and creating tangles that cause breakages.
- Quickly towel-dry your hair before applying the conditioner to help it penetrate the hair cuticle and better nourish your hair.
4.) Scalp TLC
A huge mood booster, a fantastic alleviation of stress and a great addition to your pamper night routine… There are so many things to love about a scalp massage.
But at the top of the list for these pros, is that it’s also a great way to improve your scalp’s general health. A good scalp massage, provided by a professional, yourself or a loved one helps get rid of dead skin cells and reduces the risk of dandruff and psoriasis.
The kneading technique also boosts the oxygen supply to your scalp, which helps in lymphatic draining and makes your skin more supple, allowing the scalp cells to function at their best.
The best scalp massage should go something like this:
- Start at the front of the scalp and work backwards.
- Be gentle yet firm.
- Use consistent pressure and a circular motion, placing your hands in an L-shape.
- Use all your fingers, but don’t get them tangled in the hair, as this can cause breakage.
- Aim to do this twice a week for 5 to 10 minutes.
Is there any better feeling? Enjoy! 💆♀️
5.) Be Careful With The Hairdryer
We’d all love to be able to let our hair dry naturally, but sometimes life just isn’t that good to us and we don't have the time for this before we leave the house… going out with wet hair is just not a vibe.
Take a look at our do’s and don’ts to how you should go about this to make sure you’re being kind to both your skin and locks:
- Don’t blow dry too often; try to give yourself plenty of time to wash your hair before you have to leave the house so that you don’t have to panic-dry.
- Use a protecting spray to help guard your hair against the full hot-air impact. Not to be biased or anything but we LOVE the Remi Cachet Miracle Mist for both your extensions and natural hair.
- Don’t blow dry straight after showering; try and let your hair dry naturally for 15 minutes.
- Use a low heat setting; the hotter the air, the more harmful it is.
- Angle your dryer and put some distance between you both; your hairdryer should never be closer than three inches to your hair, as this can contribute to hair thinning. Ensure that it’s pointed downwards, too.
- Keep moving; be fluid with your hairdryer and don’t direct the hot air on the same section of your head for too long.
- For those who prefer the option to dry their hair naturally, the Remi Cachet Towel is perfect to cut down your drying time. Made from microfibre, this makes the towel super absorbent and quick to dry, you can shop this here.
6.) Good Brushing Etiquette
Another key interaction you have with your hair that can impact its well-being is brushing. Regular brushing is actually easy to achieve a healthy scalp and hair.
Brushing your hair before washing it removes dead skin cells that hinder hair growth. Plus, you stimulate your scalp which aids circulation and encourages the moisture in your roots to move down your hair and nourish the tips.
The Qute Smoothing Brush is one of our favourite brushes from our wide range. You can shop the whole collection here. Made from ethically sourced boar bristles that are designed to carry the natural oil from the scalp down through the hair, the Qute Smoothing Brush will smooth and tame your natural hair and extensions with no pulling or tugging.
Shop the Qute Smoothing Brush here
7.) Hair Oil Is Your Saviour
If you’re really serious about getting strong, shiny, healthy hair; then take it up a gear with hair oil.
When it comes to oil, a key ingredient is Argan Oil which nourishes the hair to give it an intense glossy finish and great softness. Another favourite of ours is from Remi Cachet and this time it's their Hair Oil that enhances your hair's natural beauty, leaving it looking super rejuvenated.
Have you got any questions? Don't hesitate to contact us and the team will be able to help. Also, don't forget to tag us in your gorgeous and shiny hair pics for a chance to be featured and use the hashtag #additionallengths.