If you’ve been thinking about hair extensions but you’re not sure where to start, tape in hair extensions could be the perfect choice for you. Quick to install, they give instant volume and length to your natural hair, for a flawless, natural finish. But just what exactly are tape in hair extensions and how do they differ from other types on the market? At Additional Lengths, we always want you to be able to make the best choices for your hair, that’s why we’ve pulled together this guide containing everything you need to know about tape in hair extensions, from the pros and cons, through to application and aftercare.
What are tape-in hair extensions?
Tape in hair extensions is a semi-permanent hair extension method that usually lasts around 6-8 weeks before needing adjustments. More permanent and less bulky than clip in extensions, they are favoured for their quick and easy application time and for their natural-looking finish. Applied close to the root with tape, small amounts of natural hair are sandwiched in between small wefts creating a flat, natural finish and an instant, strong bond. A great choice for thick locks and everyday styling, they are also a perfect choice for fine hair, as each flat weft can be easily concealed by the natural hair. For those with finer hair, you can apply one taped weft and secure with a single sided tape.
How long do tape in hair extensions last?
From your first fitting, you can expect your tape in hair extensions to last for up to eight weeks before they’ll need adjusting and refitting. If you’re someone that’s been thinking about getting extensions but are worried about how well you will be able to look after them, the great thing about tape ins is that they aren’t a long term commitment so are a great way to test the water! And the great news is that if you do love them and look after them correctly your extension hair can easily be reused if it’s removed professionally and re-taped with fresh tape.
The full lifespan of your tape-in hair extensions, with refitting and adjusting included, is determined by which extensions you choose and how well you commit to the aftercare process. Our Remi Cachet Elegance Injection Tape® Hair, available in over 50 colours and in 3 lengths, can last over 12 months with the correct aftercare, proving that if you stick to recommended aftercare and maintenance appointments, your extensions will be worth every penny!
How are tape-in hair extensions applied?
Tape in hair extensions are applied close to the root, where a thin section of natural hair is sandwiched between the extension wefts and secured in place with tape hair pliers. The whole application process can last as little as 30 minutes to 90 minutes and is dependent on how many wefts you are having attached to your hair. Quick and easy with no heat required, there’s a very low risk of damage to your natural hair, provided that you get your tape in extensions installed and removed professionally. Professional application also plays a crucial part in achieving a natural-looking finish, as correct tape placement ensures that your extensions will lie flat to your head. Always book a full consultation appointment to determine the right extension colour, weight and application method, with any choice of extension.
How are tape in hair extensions removed?
Removing tape in hair extensions is a really simple procedure when carried out by an experienced technician. The technician will rub specialist solvent tape remover into the taped bonds of the extensions to dissolve the glue, making for easy removal without causing damage to the natural hair. Extensions will be removed row by row and any residue left on the natural hair will be brushed or shampooed away. If they’ve been correctly cared for, the tape-in extensions can then be cleaned and re-taped with new tape, ready for their next application.
How do I look after my tape in hair extensions?
If you want your tape in hair extensions to stay in the best condition possible, it’s really important that you follow the recommended aftercare. From the best products to use and things to avoid, your stylist will be on hand to advise you of the best way to correctly care for your extensions, but it is also your responsibility to ensure that these procedures are put in place and that you attend all of your follow-up maintenance appointments. Here are some top tips to help you best care for your tape in hair extensions:-
- After application, your tape in hair extensions will need to be kept dry for at least 48 hours to give their tape time to cure. Bathing, showering or any strenuous exercise that may cause you to sweat should be avoided during this time to prevent the bonds from weakening, potentially causing the extensions to slip.
- Always wash your tape-in extensions whilst in an upright position with specialist extension shampoo and conditioner and avoid using conditioner on the tape. Avoid daily washing and aim to wash no more than three times a week.
- Tape-in hair extensions should never be brushed when wet. Always blow-dry first on a slightly cooler setting, then hold the hair at the root and use a hair-extension brush to brush through your extensions to prevent any unnecessary pulling.
- Avoid applying straightening irons directly to the taped in bonds as heat may damage the tape and cause your extensions to move or slip out. Use a heat protector to prevent your extension hair from splitting.
- Avoid using oil-based products on the bonds as this too can cause slippage.
- Never sleep on wet hair extensions, always dry before going to bed.
What are the pros and cons of tape in hair extensions?
So now you know exactly what tape in hair extensions are, how they are applied and how to care for them, we thought we’d summarise our guide with some handy pros and cons so that hopefully you can decide whether or not these extensions are the right choice for your hair.
- Quick and easy application method of 30-90 minutes without any need for heat
- Semi-permanent extensions last up to 8 weeks before needing adjustments
- Wefts lay completely flat to the head for a natural look that works great in both thick and thin hair
- Can be reused multiple times if removed correctly and re-applied with new tape
- Application method that won’t damage natural hair
- Easy to remove.
- No bathing, showering or strenuous exercise for the first 48 hours to prevent bonds from slipping whilst tape cures
- Everyday washing could damage bonds; aim to wash your extensions no more than three times a week
- Semi-permanent means your extensions will need adjusting every 6-8 weeks
- Not a great choice for swimmers as the chemicals in the pool could weaken the polyurethane bonds
- Avoid conditioner, serum and oil-based products coming into contact with the tapes as your extensions may slip over time
To find your perfect colour, length and style, browse our full range of tape in hair extensions today, then read our guide on booking your first consultation appointment for more information on your fitting and to find a professional stylist near you.